Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 February 2018

Penistone,Thurlstone and High bank.

25/02/2018.

Decided to stay local [South Yorkshire] for this mornings walk. Well I say local, but its still a fair drive to Penistone, probably about 25 miles. The hill country in South Yorkshire is so underated, this is probably due to its closeness to the Peak district.Everyone rushes through South Yorkshire to get to the Peak park, which is a pity as there are some great walks around these parts. When I woke this morning I couldn't decide between Bradfield or Penistone, a toss of a coin and we were bound for Penistone. Its a fine little town situated on the South bank of the River Don. It is said to be the highest market town in the whole of Yorkshire although there is not much of a market there these days, since the closure of the Cattle market.


We started off along the Trans Pennine trail for a mile or so before turning off to drop down to the village of Thurlstone. It felt almost spring like. Although I have heard talk of a cold snap heading our way. Don't think I will pack my thermals away for the year just yet..I like Thurlstone [once away from the main Manchester road]..A proper Yorkshire feel to the place.


We gained height quickly as we walked up to High bank, some lovely old stone cottages along here.We soon left the village behind and some grand views opened up. Several folk about today, walking dogs, Riding Horses, jogging and cycling...good to see people enjoying the countryside, its like one big playground. I saw one particular bloke walking towards us with 2 massive dogs, he suddenly disappeared, only to pop his head up from behind a wall, "lovely morning" he said loudly in a Bristol accent. I said to him "I thought I was going mad as you disappeared so quickly"....."I'm a Ninja" he replied...he was a character..


Near the top of High bank we came to the wind farm on Spicer hill. Like them or loathe them you certainly cant ignore them. I quite like to see them, they certainly add something to the scene.


Downhill now as we headed back to the Trans Pennine trail. We came across a field of Penistone white faced sheep also known as Whitefaced Woodland sheep a hardy bunch of locals that have been reared around this area for hundreds of years.



Back on the Trans Pennine trail now all that was left was to follow the disused railway track back to Penistone..Birds were singing and the sun was out, heavenly.There is no better was to spend your free time..Back in the town I couldn't resist a look around the churchyard. Its a really nice spot.



Only 6 miles but its a cracking little walk....An area I shall be returning to soon.





1 comment:

  1. It looks and sounds a wonderful walk , just the right amount of miles for me !! Great photos, Steven and a great commentary .

    ReplyDelete