Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 March 2018

Langsett.....Silence broken by chuckling Grouse.

04/03/2018.

Sitting at home this morning munching on a Sausage and egg butty....Are we going out or what?..The day looked totally miserable, misty and murky and the last of the weeks snow was turning to slush, not very inspiring but we said sod it. At least we will be out, even if we can't see out...We set off to do a walk from Penistone but at the last minute I changed my mind..We would do a walk around the reservoir at Langsett. Snowing quite hard as we pulled into the car park...We followed the path through the trees along Langsett bank. Nobody about, just the sound of falling snow.


We reached the bridge at the end of the reservoir and decided to change our route [again] to follow the valley of the Porter brook, glad we did as I love it along here. I always enjoy this path above the river. Its been an interesting week with some great weather, great to see so much snow still knocking around. I was a happy bunny, in a beautiful white world.


Like little kisses from heaven the snow continued to fall, we left the valley and headed uphill following a wall up to the Hordron road. Well its called a road on the map but in reality its a rough track up to a barn. A beautifully remote spot. We commented on the fact that we couldn't hear a thing...complete silence...have you ever stood and listened to silence?, its wonderful.Then from out of the blue its "go back go back go back" the call of the Red grouse...The countryside is great to listen too, never a dull moment. Anyone that knows the Grouse will know what I mean..and if you don't then sadly you are missing out...The snow got serious up on the moor, deep crisp but not very even.


Downhill along Hordron road..Amazingly we saw several people along here. I said morning to one chap that overtook us. "are you ok" I said."As long as it keeps snowing" was his reply..glad I'm not the only one I thought. Some pretty big drifts across the track up there and we sank in thigh deep in places.All good fun though.


Made it down to Swinden lane. 


Winter is nearly over, its been great, we have had a few snowy walks but spring is just around the corner a whole new world awaits. Soon we will be going out to see the Primroses and Wood anemonies followed by the Bluebells, Cowslips and Orchids...Damn it I'm getting carried away. That's what I love about my country, things always move on...But maybe there is time for one more winters walk....Please.







No comments:

Post a Comment