Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 July 2019

20th July 2019.

A high summer circular.

Its time for me to lead another ramblers walk. This time from Wharncliffe side in the Don valley, just to the North of Sheffield,i have been away this week staying in a cottage in Hinderwell, up by Staithes on the North Yorkshire coast...We have had a smashing week, walking every day in glorious summer weather.So now we are back home and it looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worst.The weathermans prediction for today is mainly showers.sometimes heavy.Oh well never mind.On the drive to Wharncliffe side it was drizzling constantly, I wondered if anyone else was going to turn up.We pulled into the small car park at Glen howe and noticed that one early bird was already there..We were early as usual, I have always been early I cant help it..We sat and waited to see if anyone else would turn up..Before long our numbers had swollen to 15. Some had trouble finding the venue as the car park is tucked away down a narrow country lane. After a short walk briefing we were off...uphill...up Storth lane towards Brightholmlee.



Still drizzling but it didn't bother us, our spirits were high, This was going to be a cracking walk, a walk with great views lots of twists and turns, ups and downs..in fact 1800ft of ascent. The hills are what it is all about for me. As long as I am amongst the hills I am a happy bunny.We dropped down into the Ewden valley to follow the path alongside More hall reservoir then later up to Broomhead reservoir. Along with the hills I find that water also enhances a walk, be it river lake or canal or coast.


Leaving the valley a steep climb lies ahead..Up through the trees. The sound of rain above , we didn't care we were sheltered.It wasn't to last though as the path soon disappeared into an area of Bracken. At least 7 ft high in places. There was no alternative than to plod on..No big deal it's only Bracken, but have you ever walked through Bracken after or during rain?.We were soon soaked through ..we emerged from the jungle onto the lane on walker edge resembling drowned rats. One of the group summed things up perfectly..."my legs have never been so clean"


A short walk along the lane and we were to reach a bench, a good spot for our elevenses break.We sat in the sun, scoffing Cheese and onion wraps washed down with refreshing green tea..The sun was out..the view was good and I do believe we were beginning to dry out a bit.


I explained that the worst bit of the walk was now over and that we should now dry out on the next section..This turned out to be another lie as we were soon following a path through knee high wet Billberry plants..I could feel water sloshing about in my boots.


Who cares about wet feet, us ramblers are made of sterner stuff..We carried on over Ladder stiles, open moorland. There were even bits of blue up there in the sky..Great views opened up as we walked along Rocher edge and then down Agdenside to the Reservoir...What lies ahead can only be described as a bastard...The bastard in question being the steep path up to High Bradfield..I wondered if anyone was calling me a bastard for leading them up such a steep path...I couldn't resist taking a photograph of the red faces as we reached the top.


Into the village and it was time for our lunch break..Benches in the churchyard were taken up by the sandwich eaters..a few however rushed off to the pub...The old horns is a great pub..a bit busy though..we slipped outside to enjoy a couple of pints in the beer garden..Great views..i reckon there are not many pub gardens with views this good.


Back to the walk....just 3 miles in the afternoon over Onesmoors and down the access land on Bent hills


The sun came out...I realised my feet were dry...everything was tickerty boo..I usually take lots of photographs on my walks but today I took very few, and the ones I did take were nothing special..but it had been a fabulous days walking...great countryside with a great bunch of people..I took one last photograph at the end....everyone was still smiling...I hope they enjoyed it.







No comments:

Post a Comment