Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 January 2019

Friday 11th January 2019.

A walk from Penistone.




Can't remember the last time I added a walk to my blog, I suppose I have been a bit lazy of late. Time to get back into it...I do enjoy writing about my walks, it keeps me out of trouble and gives me something to look back on..Todays walk should be a cracker, I have submitted it to be used in the Ramblers summer walks programme. The starting point for the walk is the free car park in Penistone town centre [ the one next to the old Paramount cinema.].. The walk starts by crossing the road then passing through the churchyard of St John the Baptists church, an interesting old churchyard. I would have liked to have had a look around but wanted to get cracking. I set off along the Trans Pennine trail soon leaving the old town behind...I passed through the village of Thurlstone, picking up the track that is known as High bank...I have always enjoyed walking along here, its easy uphill walking and the views are fine..I paused often to take it all in..i remember walking along here years ago watching a bat..Nothing strange about that !!..but it was in broad daylight...now that is strange...No bats today.


I came to the end of the track..just up the road a bit I visited the Royd moor viewpoint...I had been walking almost an hour..A bit early for my elevenses break but this spot is just perfect ...several sheltered benches and a most interesting toposcope with a great view of the Spicer hill windfarm...I counted the turbines 20?...or was it 21...Like them or loathe them you have no chance of ignoring them..I kind of like them.


I enjoyed a coffee before setting off again...Downhill now, heading for a string of reservoirs in the valley... Ingbirchworth, Royd moor and Scout dike reservoirs popular with Fishermen and Birdwatchers...Walkers like them too...Much of todays route is following the Penistone boundary walk, a 16 mile route that circles the town...one day I shall walk it.


Crossing a busy road...then a not so busy Railway line I suddenly found myself in an area so quiet, so peaceful..i could of heard a pin drop..if I had a pin, I would have tried it ..I walked along a narrow lane [Carr lane]..I saw no cars..This is Gunthwaite, a quiet backwater..a couple of farms a couple of scattered cottages and Gunthwaite hall with its ancient cruck barn..that's it..its a perfect place..I walked along the lane for just over a mile...im not a great fan of tarmac but with no traffic it was no  great hardship


Passing Gunthwaite spa and Dam and it was uphill, rather steeply at times.


Ahead of me now was the village of Hoylandswaine..a hilltop village that is famous for being open to the elements..i realised this as I sat in the churchyard eating Cheese and onion Naan bread with Bacon Frazzles...The sky had become as black as a crow..i decided that it might be prudent to find the pub to sit this approaching storm out...The Frazzles by the way were horrible..i shant be eating them again..I repacked my rucksack, put my collar up and lengthened my stride...5 minutes later I was stood propping the bar up in the Rose and crown quaffing Farmers blonde ale.


I enjoyed it in there...chatting to the manager and a local fellow listening to current stories circulating the village and their tales of some of the locals...Looking out of the window it seemed a bit clearer so reluctantly I moved on..It was soon downhill all the way to Penistone....Passing a smelly farm on route..2 dogs ran out to greet me, barking wildly..i refused to be scared, reaching out to stroke them...come here you buggers I said....they ran off..Down by the Don I came to Boulder bridge an attractive old Packhorse bridge..half a mile later and I was back to the car...The walk had been exactly 10 miles and had worked really well although I might tweak it a bit so that there is less road walking...but then again, I might just leave it.


No comments:

Post a Comment