Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 April 2018

Drakeholes....Chesterfield canal and a village on a hill.

08/04/2018.

Thought we would give the Peak district a miss this week and stay reasonable local, We opted for a quick hop across the border into Nottinghamshire for todays walk....Its an area I return to again and again for a walk, in fact you could say I am often tied up in Notts. Drakeholes is a great place to start a walk along the Chesterfield canal. A few years back I walked the whole of the Chesterfield canal from West Stockwith to Chesterfield via Worksop and Retford....A 74 miles long route that is known as the Cuckoo way. I have always loved canal walks. I have often watched Kingfishers along here,none about today although I was treated to a good sighting of my favourite little songbird, the Blackcap, I could listen to these little warblers all day.


As we rounded the corner in the picture above we saw a women paddling awkwardly towards us on a Paddle board. She was going nowhere fast, "looks fun" I shouted to her, she explained that she was just practicing and that it was her first day out on it...Don't think I would be much good on one of these, but a kayak that would be different, I fancy the idea of getting a Kayak. Lazy summer afternoons along the canals, stopping off at various taverns along route....ahh I can see it now.


After a couple of gentle miles along the towpath we branched off into the village of Clayworth. We passed St Peters church, It looks like any other 12th century church from the outside,but walk inside and a real treat awaits for St Peters is home to the beautiful Traquair murals. All four walls of the church are covered in wonderful painted scenes...I wish I had a photograph of them to add here.


Leaving the village we walked through typical North Notts countryside, no breathtaking views,just lovely countryside...Whats not to like, the lane verges and woods are coming alive with wildflowers at the moment..Primroses, Dog violets, Wood anemonies and Lesser Celadine all brightening the scene..We took our time....Hurry is for slaves. Hurry breeds worry. Worry ruins health and happiness. Hurry is the poison of the age...So lets all slow down.


Uphill now [why am I wearing this jacket] to the village of Gringley on the hill. Its a nice place sitting on the highest ground around these parts, midway between Bawtry and Gainsborough. It has many lovely houses along its streets.


Back downhill now to rejoin the Chesterfield canal. I cannot pass the cottage by Gringley lock without taking a photograph. I'm sure everyone has places like this where they reach for the camera. Imagine how peaceful it must be to live here.


So that leaves a couple of miles back along the canal to Drakeholes.It had been a nice 7.5 mile walk perfect for a sunday morning..

Drakeholes tunnel.



Primroses.




2 comments: