Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 September 2017

Marvellous Mardale...A walk up to High street.

September 16th 2017.

Todays route started from Mardale head at the end of the isolated Haweswater reservoir. It's quite a quiet area by lake district standards, although several walkers cars were already parked up when we arrived at about 8.30...The plan was to tackle the Rough crag ridge, so off we set. There are some great looking mountains here at Mardale head, the one that demanded the most attention being Harter fell, a tremendous wall of crags falling swiftly down into the head of Mardale amid wild and romantic surrounding...We pressed on along the northern shore of Haweswater. I looked back often, Harter fell I couldn't ignore.

We rounded a bend on The Rigg and were greeted with our first sight of the neighbouring valley of Riggindale, a quiet secluded valley. The valley holds a special place in the hearts of birdwatchers as this is Golden Eagle country...Or rather I should say was Golden Eagle country as the male Eagle that was resident here has not been seen for the last couple of years...such a shame, would have been amazing to have seen an eagle wheeling above the valley....I do hope they return one day.


As we climbed we began to get better views out across Haweswater, it amazed me how blue the water looked...

I enjoyed the walk along the Rough crag ridge. It has been referred to as the connoisseurs route to High street, the ascent is a classic. Ahead lay the rocky staircase of Long stile with the Whale-backed crest of High street beyond..With an excitable Spaniel on a lead I set off onwards and upwards, I would need a breather at the top.


Yep...a breather was need as I stumbled up onto the plateau...what a view though looking back along the ridge.


The small tarn of Blea water looked amazing from up there, cradled between rocky arms its said to be the deepest tarn in Lakeland,200 ft deep apparently, it certainly looked dark and mysterious.


Only a short walk now up to the 2718ft summit of High street. Many of the high places of Lakeland have no place in history books, this cannot be said of High street though, as a Roman road crosses the fell, a high level route between Ambleside and Penrith, I bet there are many ghosts of Roman centurions up there. The summit is also known as Racecourse hill and would have been the venue of huge gatherings of shepherds from all of the surrounding valleys who would meet up to exchange lost sheep. At these shepherd meets there would be much drinking, merriment and wrestling, pretty much the same that  go's on in other High streets up and down the country...Nowadays all is quiet here and only the rising larks disturb the stillness.


With another Wainwright ticked off my second round list I headed off to the next Mardale ill bell. Standing at 2496ft..Great views back to Haweswater from up there.


All that was needed now was to descend to the Nan bield pass then drop down the rocky staircase to Small water [another tarn].before following the path back to Haweswater...not that easy though when your old legs, knees, ankles are shot...I hobbled along, then suddenly found my self laying on my back as I slipped into a disgusting black bog...Just as a group of people passed me,[why does it always happen when people are passing]...Pointing at the dog I said "I'm in competition with him to see who can get the filthiest". Im sure it wont be the last time that happens...What a classic walk it has been.

1 comment:

  1. Great shots. I like so much the one with the sheep. I really don't know why i like to see sheep so much and the view of them make me say OHHHHHHHH so beautiful. Maybe because they are peaceful animals. Soft if you can touch them. And I see anything can happen during our walk ( you step in dog's shit ? is it what black bog is ...?) My English is not perfect ...you might have to explain. Tran of Blea is nice to see also. Your countryside is so nice.

    ReplyDelete